Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Preserved Lemons

Preserved Lemons
Lemons with salt cooling in the jar
Once in a while, I'll have too much junk and fried foods. So much so that I'll end up with a sore in my mouth. Usually from biting myself and it's worse when I haven't been sleeping well, but meh. This hurts like a B but putting a piece of preserved lemon on top of the sore helps.

Other times, I'll just mix it with some honey and ginger for a tea. It really does hit the spot when you're craving something sweet and salty yet refreshing. I know it sounds weird. Must be an Asian thing.

Steaming the lemons is optional. But it does get rid of that bitter taste so I recommend it.


Preserved Lemons

Ingredients:
  • Lemons
  • Kosher salt

Preserved Lemons - 1 Month Later
Lemons 1 month later
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, boil an inch of water with a steaming basket or steamer rack with a plate. When water has boiled, place lemons on plate or in the steamer basket. Steam lemons for 10 minutes. 
  2. After 10 minutes, transfer lemons in a wide mouth jar (do NOT pour any of the bitter lemon water from the plate into the jar). Cover with 1 cup of salt per 3 large lemons. Cool to room temperature. 
  3. Cover the jar with a lid and let lemons preserve for a month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment