Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pineapple Cucumber Salad

CRAZY simple. This is definitely one of my favorite summer dishes. I learned this from my mother in law. She makes it for every potluck event and I gobble as much of it down as I can without looking too much like a piggy. :)

Depending on the dried plums, you may need to add some vinegar or lime juice and sugar. There's this specific kind that my mother in law brings back from Malaysia that just makes this dish superb. I have no clue what the brand is, so I can't even Google it. She always brings it back in a clear bag. Like the ones you use for bulk foods....oh well!

As you can tell by the top picture, clearly, I forgot the carrots. But I do have a picture below that my MIL made just last weekend. :)


Pineapple Cucumber Salad
(serves 6-8)

Ingredients:
  • 1 small fresh pineapple, cubed (3-4 cups)
  • 1 cucumber, cut into 2 inch pieces or cubed
  • 1 medium carrot, julienned
  • 3 dried plums
  • Salt
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • Sugar (optional)
  • 1 red chili pepper, finely diced (optional)

MIL's Pineapple Cucumber Salad
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, sprinkle two pinches of salt over the cucumbers and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse and place back into the mixing bowl.
  2. Add pineapple chunks, carrots, the dried plums, vinegar and chili pepper, if using. Mix well. 
  3. Chill in the fridge overnight before serving. 
  4. If the salad is too sour, add some sugar. If not sour enough, add more vinegar.
  5. Serve as a side to any (spicy) Asian dish or eat alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment