Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Brown Rice & Beans

Rice & Beans
Teeheehee. Hubby will always refuse brown rice. Unless it's my mom mixing it with jasmine rice. Then he can't really complain and he just eats it. Begrudgingly. Regardless, I'm trying to eat healthier. (Trying is the operative word here.) That being said, I wanted to try brown rice without mixing it with white rice. It may not sound like a big deal to most people, but it's so scary for me. I LOVE my sushi and jasmine rice. Sometimes I actually do wonder if I can live longer without rice or without Hubby.

Anywho, I saw a recipe for Jamaican rice and peas, so I thought I'd try it out with brown rice and black beans (rather than kidney, since I didn't have any). It's pretty darn good. Maybe I'll actually try brown rice in place of white rice one day. Maybe.

Oh yeah, before I forget. The whole point of this was that I somehow managed to get Hubby to have brown rice without him knowing that it was brown rice. He just doesn't like beans with his rice, so I'll have to do something about that next time. Progress!


Brown Rice & Beans
(serves 4)

Ingredients:
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 400ml (13.5oz) can of coconut milk
  • 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
  • 1 cup cooked black beans
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • Salt, to taste
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions:
  1. In a medium pot, heat up the cream part of the coconut milk over medium high heat. Once bubbly, stir in onions. Cook until soften.
  2. Stir in allspice, cumin and a pinch of salt. Add in rice and mix until it's all coated with the coconut cream.
  3. Pour the remaining can of coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat to a bare simmer and simmer for 45 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in black beans. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
  4. Serve as a side with grilled fish/prawns and a side salad, or fish stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment