Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Chicken Teriyaki

Chicken Teriyaki
Isn't this chicken breast just GORGEOUS? Lol. I think it's pretty anyway. :)

I love chicken teriyaki. I prefer it with chicken thighs but I'll usually make it with chicken breasts, simply because I don't like deboning a huge package of chicken thighs. Lazy? Hells yes. :P

But you know what? I can always claim that the best is healthier. So there. >:)

Traditionally you'd use mirin but I almost never have mirin at home, so I just use my yellow wine. It works just as well. I just have to add more sugar. That being said, if you have mirin, don't use as much sugar!

The sauce is pretty standard so you can use it to make tofu teriyaki, salmon teriyaki, beef teriyaki, etc. I just like to add veggies to it cuz they soak up all the sauce and impart some flavour to the sauce itself. ;)


Chicken Teriyaki
(serves 2)

Ingredients:
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts (with skin!)
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup yellow wine/dry sherry/mirin
  • 3 Tbsps sugar (use less if using mirin), more to taste
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • 2 Tbsps canola oil

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, heat up canola oil. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. 
  2. Put chicken in the pan skin side down. When the skin has a nice golden colour (about 7 minutes), turn it over. Lower the heat to low and cook until the juices run clear. Transfer chicken breasts to a plate to rest. Set aside.
  3. Toss onions and bell peppers into the pan. Cook until onions start to soften. Stir in soy sauce, wine/mirin and sugar, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom. Add more sugar if necessary and cook until sauce is bubbly and thickened.
  4. Spoon onions and peppers onto a plate, top with the chicken breasts and drizzle sauce over chicken. Serve with rice and miso soup (or another clear broth/consomme).

No comments:

Post a Comment