Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Broth Butt Chicken

Broth Butt Chicken
Okay, so I lied. I wasn't going to roast a chicken any other way than when I did my Sage & Bay Salt Roast Chicken but I had a friend's beer butt chicken one day and it was just crazy moist. I was intrigued...

Originally I was going to use some beer instead, but I found some beef broth in the fridge I wanted to use up, so I used that instead. Shouldn't you be using chicken broth instead? Yeah, I probably should've but that would've meant I'd open up another 1L thing of chicken broth when I really only needed to use a little over half a can to cook the thing.

I can't tell you how important it is to let anything you plan on roasting to rest on the counter an hour before you roast it (same goes for steaks). It cooks more evenly so it tastes way more awesome. I hope I never forget to do this. Lol. :P


Broth Butt Chicken
(serves 4)


Ingredients:
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 1 can of chicken broth/beer, can rinsed and dried
  • 4 russet potatoes, washed, peeled & cubed
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 head of garlic, cloves separated & peeled
  • 4 tsps Sage & Bay Salt, divided
  • 2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a large bowl, toss potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and garlic cloves with olive oil and 1 teaspoon of Sage & Bay Salt. Pour into a 9" x 12" roasting pan.
  3. Open up a can of chicken broth or beer, pour 1/3 to 1/2 of the can onto the veggies (or consume the beer). Make a little spot in the middle of the pan for the can and place the can in the opened space. Set aside.
  4. Rub chicken with remaining Sage & Bay Salt. Stick the chicken onto the can so that it props the chicken up (as if can is sticking up into its butt opening).
  5. Carefully place roasting pan into the oven and roast for 70 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165F.
  6. Carve the chicken and serve with the roasted veggies and potatoes with a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment