Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

"About to Get Sick" Soup

"About to Get Sick" Soup
The weather here has just been horrendous. It gets warm, and then the week after, it's below freezing. This makes for a lot of people getting sick and spreading their germs around. Yuck. A friend of mine had told me about this soup and swears that it keeps her and her family from getting sick every time they feel something coming on. Since I was feeling it coming on and K was already feverish for a couple of days, it was only a matter of time before I'd be down for the count as well. May as well give it a go, right?

It's pretty darn good. It's a pretty sweet soup because of the corn and carrots. I have no clue why K didn't drink more of it, but he just didn't care for it. I loved it and just drank it like water throughout the day. TEEHEE. And sure enough, I only had a mild cough for a week (usually my coughs last at least 3 weeks) and then I was ALL better. Hubby didn't get sick at all either. So I'd say it's pretty good stuff.


"About to Get Sick" Soup
(makes about 2 1/2 liters)

Ingredients:
  • 2 small corn on cob with 1 layer of husk
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 lb pork sirloin (or any cut of boneless meat)
  • 10 whole chestnuts
  • 2 inch knob of ginger
  • Salt, to taste
  • Water

Directions:
  1. Throw everything into a large 5 quart dutch oven. Fill with water until about 1 1/2 inches of space is left from the top of the pot to the top of the water. Bring to a boil. Lower to the lowest setting and simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Season with salt and skim off any excess fat.
  2. Serve hot and drink as you would water throughout the day.

You can eat the veggies. They're still pretty good. I usually make a soy dipping sauce to eat the meat with when making soups like this. Nothing goes to waste!


No comments:

Post a Comment