Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Faux Beef Terimayo "Japadog"

Faux Beef Terimayo "Japadog" The other day I spotted a Japadog food truck and I looped around a block just to go back to grab a few for dinner. Heehee. I love Japadogs, especially their Terimayo Japadog with some wasabi mayo. That made me want to try to make this at home (since I'm cheap and like to try to make things at home). Which led to my buying hot dogs and hot dog buns the next day to experiment.

Considering how I have no garlic at home, I decided to just go and experiment the other night for dinner. This is my rift on it but darn it is YUMMY! I'm definitely making this again. Hubby probably could've eaten 2 or 3 of these by himself. He doesn't usually finish my food unless I REALLY can't finish it and he didn't even need to be asked twice before he finished the rest of mine. LOL!


Faux Beef Terimayo "Japadog"
(makes 2 "Japadogs")

Ingredients:
  • 2 hot dog buns
  • 2 all beef hot dogs
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbsps thick soy sauce paste
  • 2 Tbsps water
  • 2 Tbsps sugar, divided
  • 1 Tbsp Japanese mayonnaise (and more for topping, optional)
  • 1 tsp wasabi paste

Directions:
  1. In a medium pan, caramelize onions on low to medium-low heat. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar to help it along. Stir occasionally.
  2. In the meantime, in a small saucepan, add soy sauce paste, water and remaining sugar and cook on medium high heat until sauce thickens. Add caramelized onions into the sauce. Mix well. Set aside.
  3. Using the pan you used to caramelize the onions, split the hot dog buns and put them facedown to toast a little on medium high heat. Set onto serving plates.
  4. Meanwhile, make wasabi mayo by combining the wasabi paste and Japanese mayo. Mix until well blended. Set aside.
  5. Cook hot dogs however you want. (I just nuke them on high in a microwave to be quick.)
  6. To assemble, place hot dogs in the buns, top with onions in sauce, wasabi mayo and extra Japanese mayonnaise (optional but definitely recommended). Serve right away before someone steals it from you.

You can get the thick soy sauce paste and Japanese mayonnaise in any Asian supermarket. I always just get mine at T&T. Same with the wasabi. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment