Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Mom's "Cocktail" Salad

Mom's "Cocktail" Salad
Really, I have no clue what to call this. All I know is that it's a salad and it's a childhood favourite of mine. Every summer, my mom would make this for us and it'd be gone by the next day. Dad sometimes would MAYBE get a bowl and that was it. She'd keep it in a 4L ice cream bucket so it was easy for us to get to without spilling/breaking anything. :)

Be warned, it contains (GASP) canned cocktail fruit! I know I know...It's summer and I'm using CANNED fruit????? It just makes no sense! But I don't care because it tastes awesome and it's how my mom always made it so it's how I'm going to always make it for Kayden. The best part is that we get to put cucumbers in it. Mom had to take it out after a while because my sis didn't like cucumbers. Those were some sad times...


Mom's "Cocktail" Salad
(serves 8-12)

Ingredients:
  • 2 large cooked & cooled russet potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 5 cooled hard boiled eggs
  • 1 cucumber, seeded and diced
  • 1 796ml (28oz) can of cocktail fruit, drained
  • 2 red delicious apples, diced
  • 2/3 cup Miracle Whip
  • Pinch of salt

Directions:
  1. Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Crumble/mash the egg yolks with a fork in a small bowl. Chop up the egg whites. 
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients until everything is well covered with Miracle Whip and egg yolk.
  3. Chill in the fridge at least 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment